27 feb 2012

My Oscar Reactions


And the Oscar finally went to The Artist as predicted, although I didn`t do a good job at guessing the minor categories. Everything went sort of as predicted in the main categories with Dujardin winning the best actor, Christopher Plummer winning the best supporting actor, and Octavia Spencer winning the award for Supporting Actress. The only big award I didn’t guess was Meryl Streep taking home the Oscar for Best Actress instead of heavy favorite Viola Davis. This was Streep`s third Oscar win and she is simply the best actress in the world, having been nominated seventeen times. It`s sad Viola Davis didn’t win, but Streep is Streep. The other major category I missed was Best Documentary, which went to Undefeated instead of Purgatory 3: Paradise Lost. Rango won Best Animated film as predicted, Woody Allen won Best Original Screenplay for Midnight in Paris, and Alexander Payne won Best Adaptive Screenplay for The Descendants. A Separation won for Best Foreign film and should have competed for Best Picture as well. I went 9 for 11 in these major categories.

Now for the minor categories I did pretty terrible. Best short documentary went to Undefeated, Best Short Film to The Shore, and Best Short Animated for The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore. I didn’t guess any of those wins. I also missed a couple of awards that ended up going to Hugo. I predicted three of its five wins, since it did take home both Sound Editing and Sound Mixing awards and Art Direction. The two wins I didn’t see coming for Hugo was for Best Visual Effects which I thought would go to Rise of the Planet of the Apes, and Best Cinematography that I thought would go to The Tree of Life. The Malick film went home empty handed, and I thought he really would win for Best Cinematography. It was just gorgeous. My other miss on the night was Best Makeup which went to The Iron Lady instead of Deathly Hallows.

The Artist was the biggest winner of the night although it won the same amount of Oscars that Hugo did, but it did take the major categories (Picture, Director, Actor, Costume Design, and Original Score). Hugo won for best visual effects, sound editing, sound mixing, art direction, and cinematography. The Iron Lady took two awards (Actress and Makeup). The Help won one award thanks to Olivia Spencer, The Descendants and Midnight in Paris won the Screenplay awards, and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo won for Best Editing. War Horse, Moneyball, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, and The Tree of Life went home empty handed. In general I did do pretty well with my predictions, although these weren’t the movies I would`ve personally picked.

As for the show goes, I really enjoyed it; Billy Crystal was great as always. I loved his parody of the best picture contenders, his song, and the part in which he read the actors minds. It was a great presentation. As for the presenters they were great as well. My favorites were Will Ferrell with Zach Galifianakis, Ben Stiller with Emma Stone, and Robert Downey Jr. with Gwyneth Paltrow. The show went by really fast and smooth for me. I enjoyed it and congratulations to the winners. I just hope next time my favorite movies get nominated.
  

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario