11 jun 2015

My Favorite Collection: Good Will Hunting (10/10)

“I'd ask you about love, you'd probably quote me a sonnet. But you've never looked at a woman and been totally vulnerable. Known someone that could level you with her eyes, feeling like God put an angel on earth just for you.”

The scene where Robin Williams’ Sean Maguire sits on a park bench with Matt Damon’s Will Hunting to have their little shrink session about life, love, and identity is perhaps my favorite cinematic moment ever. More than a conversation, it is a monologue that Robin Williams delivers with incredible passion and it gives me goosebumps every time I watch this scene. It’s the reason why he won an Academy Award for best supporting actor and why the film works as well as it does. This is just one fantastic moment, but I can think of many more scenes that left me completely in love with the movie. Like the scene where Sean Maguire and Stellan Skarsgard’s Prof. Lambeau have their long awaited discussion about ego and missed opportunities (“You think I'm a failure. I know who I am, and I'm proud of what I do. I was a conscientious choice, I didn't ef up! And you and your cronies think I'm some sort of pity case. You and your kiss-ass chorus following you around going, "The Fields Medal! The Fields Medal!" Why are you still so efin' afraid of failure?”), the scene where Sean narrates Game 6 of the World Series to Will, which he passed on for the opportunity to meet his future wife (I just slid my ticket across the table, and I said, "Sorry, guys; I gotta see about a girl.”), and of course the final scene between Will And Sean which I don’t want to spoil. There are just so many great moments in this film thanks to the strong performances and the amazing screenplay from Matt Damon and Ben Affleck which is one of my favorites. Even the scenes between Matt Damon and Ben Affleck and between Damon and Minnie Driver are incredible and I still have to leave them out of my top five favorite scenes in this movie because there are just so many. And I even left out Will’s amazing monologue about why he shouldn’t work for the N.S.A. It’s simply one of the best written movies ever and it has Robin Williams best performance (that is saying a lot considering how much I loved his work in Dead Poet’s Society, Good Morning Vietnam, and The Fisher King).            

“You're not perfect, sport, and let me save you the suspense: this girl you've met, she's not perfect either. But the question is whether or not you're perfect for each other.” 

I don’t know if Good Will Hunting is a perfect film, but I know it is perfect for me and for that reason it will always be included as one of my all time favorite films up there with The Sixth Sense and The Dark Knight. I have plenty of other favorites which I sometimes include in my top ten, but those three are always at the very top of my list, and I don’t even worry about having to discuss it with anyone else.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario