2 nov 2013

My Review: You're Next (9/10)

"Don't bother locking the doors. Animals don't use doors."

I can't think of a better way of spending the last day of October than having experienced this film for the first time. I am not a big horror fan, but after watching The Conjuring and now this movie I think I'm back on board with this genre. They are two very different movies, The Conjuring really creeped me out, while You're Next was extremely entertaining with lots of dark humor and interesting genre twists. I agree with the people that are comparing this movie to Scream because it is very self aware and it makes fun of horror cliches while at the same time delivering them. I would say You're Next does for home invasion horror films what Kick Ass did for super hero films. I am actually a little embarrassed that I loved this movie so much considering it features some pretty bad performances and hardly any scares at all. The opening of the film was rather predictable and it took a long time to really get going, but once the twists kicked in, the movie had me at the edge of my seat with Sharni Vinson delivering one of the most memorable female characters I've seen in a horror film since Sigourney Weaver's Ripley in Alien. She was worth the ticket price alone. You're Next is gory and violent, and it is not a movie for everyone, but this mumblegore film was so much better than I had expected. It completely blew me away despite all its flaws and lack of actual scary scenes. This will probably be the first time in more than a decade that I will have two horror movies in my best films of the year list. You're Next did everything that The Purge did wrong right. It has overtaken The Strangers as my favorite home invasion film.

The less you know about the plot going into this movie the better so I will be brief here. Paul (Rob Moran) and Aubrey (Barbara Crampton) are getting ready to celebrate their 35th aniversary by having a family reunion at their country home in the middle of the woods. The first to arrive is their son Crispian (AJ Bowen) along with his girlfriend Erin (Sharni Vinson). Crispian is a teacher and Erin was a former student of his. The next day Crispian`s brother Drake (Joe Swanberg) and his wife Kelly (Margaret Laney) arrive. Crispian and Drake seem to have some sort of unressolved issues going on between them. Before the important dinner celebration the rest of the family members arrive: Paul`s youngest son Felix (Nicholas Tucci) with his gothic girlfriend Zee (Wendy Glen), and Paul`s only daughter Aimee (Amy Seimetz) with her documentary filmmaker boyfriend Tariq (Ti West). The table has been set for a nice little family reunion when all of a sudden these men wearing animal masks begin to attack and suddenly everyone`s life is in danger. 

I think that the critics and some of the trailers give away too much information about this movie considering it is much more enjoyable if you go into it without knowing much about it. This is a small indie horror film with some unknown actors, but the story is really engaging and Sharni Vinson takes over the entire second half of the film with a powerful performance. She is really great in this. This is one movie I wouldn`t mind watching again considering it actually might be rewarding to go back and seeing some of the things I missed out on the first time (now that I know the twists that are coming beforehand). I haven`t had as much fun in a theater this year as much as I did with this film. I`m not a fan of gore, but this film used it wisely and had several funny moments that completely engaged me. It balances the humor with the horror pretty well. You`re Next is a very witty film with some dark humor that isn`t for everyone, but it deserves you at least give it a shot. You might just love this film as much as I did and look over its many flaws.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario