9 jul 2013

My Review: Despicable Me 2 (8/10)

"That's right, baby! Gru's back in the game with cool cars... gadgets... and weapons!"

There might not be that much of an interesting story in this sequel, but I have to admit I had a blast with these lovable characters and laughed throughout the entire movie. I don't think I laughed as much with any other movie all year so I have to say this is the funniest film of the year so far. It has several clever lines and I was glad to see all these memorable characters back. Once again the minions steal the show along with Agnes who is as adorable as ever. There were also some new characters that brought some freshness to the sequel. I can understand why some adults might not have liked this film because it is predictable and has some very stupid moments, but I know kids will have a great time. They will love this sequel because the minions have more screen time and they steal the funniest scenes. I couldn't help but laugh at all the funny and adorable situation, and perhaps hearing the kids laugh at the theater made me appreciate the comedy even more. This is a very family friendly film which reminded me a lot of the old comedy from the Looney Tunes. I could sit through this film many more times without hesitating because it is a very easy watch. I think I'd even prefer to see this over the first Despicable Me, but they were both great and funny films. 

In this sequel we see how Gru (Steve Carell) is adapting to family life as he has put his villainous life behind him. He seems to be enjoying his life as a single parent to Margo (Miranda Cosgrove), Edith (Dana Gaier), and Agnes (Elsie Kate Fisher). Everything seems to be going well for him as he has his minions working on a jam business. Meanwhile a secret Arctic lab has been stolen and the Anti-Villain League decide to contact Gru for his expertise in order to catch the person responsible. After recruiting Gru they team him up with Agent Lucy Wilde (Kristen Wiig) and together they begin to look for suspects. Gru is convinced that the villain is Eduardo (Benjamin Bratt), who used to disguise himself as the villain known as El Macho, but he has been presumed dead for years. During their investigation, Gru's minions are being kidnapped, and the question remains as to who is the person behind all this.

I really enjoyed the animation from the guys at Illumination Entertainment and thought the 3D worked nicely. I really loved the underwater scene and thought it was really breathtaking. There were some great animated moments, but the lovable minions are the ones that steal the show with their funny voices and mischiefs. I also liked the addition of Lucy who despite being a bit wacky seemed like a perfect fit for Gru. I had a great time and I'm sure kids will love this extremely entertaining movie.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario