3 jun 2013

My Review: Identity Thief (2/10)

¨I just want to be upfront and say I visually enjoy you.¨

It will be very difficult to find another movie worse than Identity Thief at the theater this year. I have no idea how this film raised more than 100 million dollars at the box office considering how terrible it was. I remember a time in which road trip comedies used to be great, but after seeing this and Due Date I have to admit I´m disappointed at Hollywood´s latest efforts. Despite having very funny actors the film has no laughs whatsoever. It was a huge disappointment for me because I like Jason Bateman and Melissa McCarthy. They are extremely talented and funny actors, but this movie did the impossible and made them look so dull and boring. The screenplay for this film has to be one of the worst and in my opinion is an early contender for this year´s Razzies. I´m not hating on director Seth Gordon because I was one of the few people who actually enjoyed Horrible Bosses and am looking forward to the sequel. I do think that the screenplay by Craig Mazin and Jerry Eetin is probably the weakest thing about Identity Thief. This is as lazy as you can get with a movie. I think that having Jason Bateman and Melissa McCarthy say whatever they felt like in front of the camera would have been much funnier than having them play these stereotypical roles with very poor dialogues.

Sandy Patterson (Jason Bateman) has a lovely wife named Trish (Amanda Peet) and two beautiful daughters. He lives in Denver where he works as an account rep for an important company, but soon discovers that his identity has been stolen after seeing his credit cards being all maxed out. He discovers that a woman in Florida has been using his identity and has been spending all his money so he decides to travel to Florida and bring her back to Colorado for justice. Once he arrives at Florida he finds out that the woman´s name is Diana (Melissa McCarthy), or so she says, and that she is wanted by a lot of people. He somehow convinces her to come along with him to Colorado and fix things with his bosses so he doesn’t get in trouble at work. While they embark on their road trip they are followed by several other criminals and hit men who are looking for Diana as well. Among them there is Julian (T.I.) and Marisol (Genesis Rodriguez) who are working together for an important drug dealer, and then there is Skiptracer (Robert Patrick) who has also been asked to bring Diana back to Florida. What seemed like an easy road trip back to Denver will end up in a very dangerous pursuit with all sorts of things going wrong for Sandy and Diana.

Identity Thief is a lazy excuse for a comedy and one of the few films in that genre that never managed to make me laugh. I was really surprised the film was this bad considering how much I liked the actors here. I can’t think of one funny or stand out scene. This was a very disappointing film and I can´t say anything else about it.


http://estebueno10.blogspot.com/

2 comentarios:

  1. I'm still not entirely sure if I just wasn't in the mood for a comedy or if the movie just fell flat. To be honest, I’m going with the latter. Good review Esteban.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. I could see how it simply just felt flat because that is how I felt. Too bad because I like these actors, but the material was terrible.

      Eliminar