24 nov 2012

My Review: Hope Springs (6/10)



¨He is everything. But I'm... I'm really lonely. And to be with someone, when you're not really with him can... it's... I think I might be less lonely... alone.¨

Hope Springs was one of those movies I wish I could´ve enjoyed a little more because it had some great performances and a decent story. The movie really felt authentic to me, but I did get bored during several points of the movie. Everyone knows how great and talented Meryl Streep is; she is one of the greatest actresses of all time in my opinion. Once again she is outstanding in her role here alongside Tommy Lee Jones who also gives an authentic performance playing her husband for 30 years. Whatever romance there might have been in the past, it is long gone now as the two live together but it might as well be like they are in two separate worlds. There are several funny moments in the film of course, but it`s also combined with a lot of drama and sadness. I can imagine some old couples relating to this story, but the film; I´m afraid, won’t attract a younger audience. Hope Springs was directed by David Frankel, who worked in the past with Streep in The Devil Wears Prada (one of my favorite performances from Streep). Frankel also directed more recently the heartfelt film Marley and Me. I would recommend any of those two movies over this one. What surprised me the most about this film was that it was written by the young Vanessa Taylor (who has written for several TV series such as Game of Thrones, Alias, and Everwood). I expected it to be written by a senior writer considering the material, but she did write a very good and believable script. Although I must say that Meryl Streep can make any script sound believable.

The plot is pretty simple: Kay (Meryl Streep) and Arnold (Tommy Lee Jones) have been married for over 30 years. They seem to have a stable relationship, but they sleep in separate rooms and have hardly any communication between each other. Arnold shows no affection for Kay anymore and he thinks everything is fine, but Kay feels alone and wants to reignite the spark of their marriage. Kay decides to sign Arnold and her for an intense one week marriage therapy session in Hope Springs with Dr. Feld (Steve Carell). When Arnold hears about it, he gets pretty upset at first but he decides to go anyway to comply with his wife, although he nags about it during the whole trip. Dr. Feld helps the couple discover where their love for each other has drifted apart and despite some reluctance at first, Arnold decides to go along with the therapy lessons. Things won`t be easy, but both must try their best to reignite the lost flame of their love before it´s too late. Thus the challenge for the couple begins.

The title in Spanish for this movie ¨¿Que voy a hacer con mi marido?¨ literally means What Am I Going to Do With My Husband? Perhaps a more appropriate and inventive title than Hope Springs. The truth of the matter is that Kay has put everything on the line in her marriage, and Arnold is the one who has held back. The challenge really is on him to rebuild the love he once had for her. Tommy Lee Jones and Meryl Streep were great together; they really looked like a true couple. I give this film 3 stars out of five mostly because of their performance together. Steve Carell as the therapist had a different role than the one he usually plays. He did a decent job although he was outshined by the two stars of the film. Surprisingly he didn’t have a comedic moment in this film. Most funny moments come from the couple trying to rediscover their lost love for each other. This film isn’t for everyone. Younger audiences probably won`t enjoy this too much, but Streep fans will be pleased with her work. I still enjoyed the movie.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario